Skip to main content

Yummiest Item: Hijiki Seaweed and Carrot Salad

Well, it's certainly been awhile since I posted. A lot of things happened recently and I've been feeling stressed but that didn't stop me from making bento! I've just not uploaded them yet. Here's tomorrow's bento. I'll be having an outside "picnic" type of hangout with my co-workers; a rare occasion but I always look forward to them. 

The other day, we all were invited to the 23rd floor of our workplace building for a small party celebrating the promotion of our department's head. There was a balcony on that floor and oh my gosh, the view!! My co-workers and I spotted what looked like a small garden on top of a car garage building so we decided to have our picnic there! How exciting!! I'm always looking for new spots to enjoy my bento lunches. :D


Proteins: Pan fry Salmon
Vegetables: Pickled radish, Hijiki and carrot salad with a purple carrot piece carved into the shape of a flower (<3), Mini heirloom tomatoes (red and yellow underneath), and also steamed okra
Rice: White, short grain rolled into mini onigiri balls and seasoned with various furikake. The purple one is actually chopped up purple carrots! I just steamed them and then mixed it with rice. How cute and healthy is that!?
Dessert: Dried jack fruit

Total Calories: 514

I tried making hijiki and carrot salad for the first time and it actually turned out pretty good in my opinion. It's savory and sweet (albeit slightly fishy flavor) all at the same time. Here's my modified "light" recipe (low in sodium and calories):

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup dried hijiki seaweed, soaked and reconstituted in 1/2 cup of warm water
1/2 cup of match stick carrots
1 tsp sesame oil
3/4 cup Dashi stock
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp mirin
1/2 tsp of coconut sugar (I use Trader Joe's brand but plain, white granulated sugar is okay~)

Directions:
1. Soak the freaky looking hijiki seaweeds in water for 15-30 minutes.
2. Make your dashi stock; you can use store bought and mix with water but I like to make my own by using 1 pack of bonito flakes soaked in 3/4 cup of hot water for 15-30 minutes. 
3. Combine dashi stock, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar; set aside.
4. Chop your carrots into thin matchsticks and strain your hijiki after 15-30 minutes, wash it under water and then squeeze out as much excess water as you can.
5. Heat 1 tsp sesame oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir fry your carrots for 1-2 minutes, then add the strained hijiki and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
6. Pour the stock mixture in, let it come to a boil, then cover the pan with a lid and turn down the heat a bit; continue to heat until the water has nearly evaporated--about 10-15 minutes.
7. Take lid off and continue to heat on medium-low heat until most of the stock mixture has evaporated, mixing every now and then.
8. Let it cool and serve or pack it into your bento!

Makes about 3-4 bento servings.

Total Nutrition Stats
134 calories 
18 grams carbs 
5 grams fat 
4 grams protein
833 grams sodium 
10 grams of fiber!

That's it for today. Enjoy~~

Comments